What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a chronic disorder of veins under the skin, which causes general flushing and redness that comes and goes on the cheeks, nose, chin, and forehead. In some cases, rosacea can appear as acne bumps (papules) and pimples (pustules). Over time the redness becomes ruddier and more persistent and visible blood vessels may appear. In some cases, the nose may become swollen and enlarged from excess tissue. Rosacea is a benign condition that may be genetic or due to abnormally high levels of specific peptides and enzymes in the bloodstream. Other studies have suggested that rosacea outbreaks are influenced by bacterial proliferation in the small intestine. Regardless of rosacea’s root cause, its appearance is provoked by exposure to irritants or “triggers” that makes someone blush and flush uncontrollably.
Symptoms of Rosacea (picture)
- Persistent redness
- Visible blood vessels
- Eye irritation
- Burning Stinging
- Tightness of the skin
- Dry appearance
- Skin thickening
Most common triggers
- Sun exposure…avoid sun and always wear sunscreen
- Avoid stress…expect the unexpected don’t overwhelm yourself
- Stay cool….don’t let yourself get overheated if you feel that you are retreat to air conditioning
- Dress cool…keep it light and layer if needed
- Stay hydrated…drink plenty of cool water and mist your face when outside in the heat
- Avoid spice…steer clear of spicy foods, hot beverages, and alcohol
- Keep your routine… Don’t sporadically stop/start your treatment routine you must stay on track for your regimen to be successful
- Avoid harsh products…your skin care routine should be mild over the counter products and your prescribed medications, no harsh scrubs or chemicals that will irritate the skin
Treatments for Rosacea
Rosacea symptoms can vary from patient to patient so the treatments must be tailored for each individual case. Here at DermaBlue, we can offer a combination of treatments to provide the most relief as quickly as possible.
Topical and Oral Treatments
We also offer a variety of the latest topical creams, lotions, and serums to relieve rosacea symptoms such as dryness, pustules, swelling, itching and burning. These creams contain anti-inflammatory and antibacterial qualities that help control rosacea in between early laser treatments and keep your skin hydrated and clear. Moisturizers and cleansers are also important for skin maintenance and the control of rosacea. Therapeutic cleansers that do not contain harsh soap, oil-free moisturizers and sunscreens all help inhibit rosacea flare-ups caused by known triggers. Various oral and topical meds can be prescribed to treat pimples and redness. Oral antibiotics and topical lotions and gels can reduce inflammation and redness.
Vascular Laser Treatments are extremely effective to improve broken capillaries on the face and nose. At Dermablue, we offer a combination of lasers to effectively and safely break down the veins under the skin, which help correct visible redness and makes future flares less noticeable. The lasers offer long-term results; are gentle and safe and will help even out overall skin tone on all skin types.