Hair Loss In Women
Losing your hair can be a traumatic experience for anyone. For women, hair loss can have a particularly negative affect on your sense of self and emotional well-being.
A full head of hair is often associated with beauty and a positive self-image, so there’s a psychological toll that can come from hair loss. To make matters worse, female hair loss is rarely discussed in the media or the medical community, making it harder for women to talk openly about their condition and how to address it.
Despite what you might think, hair loss in women is actually quite common. In fact, nearly 40% of people with at least some visible hair loss by age 40 are women. While there are close to 30 different conditions that can cause hair loss in women, just a few are responsible for the majority of cases. Fortunately, most can be resolved with proper treatment.
The most common causes of hair loss in women are:
- Female pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia)
- Traction hair loss (traction alopecia)
- Scars from burns or major surgery
- Crash dieting or poor nutrition
- Extreme stress
- Iron deficiency
- Hormonal imbalances like pregnancy and menopause
- Major surgery
- Sub optimal thyroid function
- Systemic diseases like lupus
At Dermablue, we will provide a comprehensive medical work up to determine the underlying cause of your hair loss and provide long term solutions to actively treat your concerns. Feel free to reach out for a medical evaluation covered by your primary care insurance.
Treatments we offer at Dermablue for hair loss:
- Prescription topical and oral treatments
- Evaluation and treatment for hormone imbalance
- Evaluation and treatment for thyroid imbalance
- Evaluation and treatment for iron and vitamin imbalance
- Hair restoration
- Minimally invasive hair transplant
Are you a woman suffering from hair loss? Visit our contact page or give us a call at 828-585-5489 and we’d be delighted to answer any questions you may have.