August is psoriasis awareness month and we wanted to bring some attention to this autoimmune disease that causes red and scaly patches to form on the skin. Psoriasis generally shows up around the elbows, knees and scalp, however it can appear pretty much anywhere. It causes sufferers to have itchy, stinging and burning sensations, annoying right?!
Unfortunately, it’s not exactly clear what causes psoriasis but we do know that the immune system and even genetics play a huge roll. The good thing is, it’s NOT contagious, so you don’t have to worry about contracting it from those around you or spreading it to others.
There are 5 different types of psoriasis and the best way to pinpoint your specific condition is to visit your DermaBlue dermatologist in Asheville, NC. However, until then, we wanted to provide you with 5 psoriasis remedies on how to make living with psoriasis more enjoyable and possibly prevent flare-ups!
- Clean up your nutrition. Food is medicine and we do have control over what we put in our bodies! One of the first psoriasis remedies is to make sure you cut out is sugar! Because psoriasis is an inflammatory disease and sugar can cause inflammation, it’s pretty much a no brainer we need to limit sugar as much as possible! Start with cutting out sugar-filled drinks and desserts, then do some research on what other foods are filled with added sugar. You will be surprised!
- Limit Stress. I know, this is sometimes easier said than done but stress can also cause psoriasis flare ups. To manage stress try surrounding yourself with the people and things that make you happy, get outside more to enjoy nature’s serenity and lastly try getting in a healthy dose of exercise! Regular exercise can help relieve depression and studies suggest that exercise is more effective for combating stress than are some commonly prescribed drugs!
- Buy yourself something nice! Who doesn’t feel better after a little retail therapy?! Sometimes psoriasis can make us feel down about ourselves and our appearance. Try buying something with fun patterns and focus on flowy materials which can be more comfortable when having a psoriasis flare up. And don’t forget to accessorize with this psoriasis remedy!!
- Keep a journal of your symptoms. Keeping a journal is not only helpful when seeing your medical provider it will also be helpful for you to try and pinpoint what’s going on in your life at the time a flare up happens. Did you divulge in bad food choices or have a super stressful week? A journal is one of the great psoriasis remedies to see if there are trends in when your flare ups happen!
- You can be treated. There is currently no cure for psoriasis but there are treatments to help with your symptoms! If you have yet to see a psoriasis dermatologist about your condition, wait no more!
Call DermaBlue Dermatology in Asheville, NC, today and we can get you started on a treatment right for you! We are accepting NEW patients!