If you’re like most of us, skin care products can be extremely overwhelming. Most of us have to back up in the moment when we start to read the front of the bottles. There seems to be a million different skin types, ingredients, and skin conditions that can be “easily” remedied.
So, here at DermaBlue we’ve done the hard work for you by creating a list of our top 5 skincare must-haves to help you perfect your daily routine.
1. Find a cleanser that fits your skin type.
The first step to happy skin is clean skin. Cleansers come in all different shapes and sizes. One thing that is important regardless of any other factors- choose one that is free of harmful detergents and surfactants. Skin is not meant to sustain these types of ingredients and be able to show healthy benefit.
Need help identifying your personal skin type? First, start with knowing what classifies our skin. How much or little oil our skin produces is the main factor (Diet, exercise, medications, stress, and environmental elements all play a key role in oil production).Oily Skin- Shiny, enlarged pores, may experience more blackheads and blemishes
- Dry Skin – Appears scaly and flaky, feels tight and dry to the touch.
- Aging/Sun Damaged Skin – Fine lines and wrinkles that start around the eyes, mouth and forehead. Hyperpigmentation starts to present itself and skin may appear loose.
- Sensitive Skin – May seem red and easily irritated, delicate skin with fine pores and broken capillaries.
- Combination Skin – Most common skin type. Medium sized pores, Oily T-Zone but other areas are smooth and dry.
- Normal Skin – Despite the misleading name, this is the rarest skin type. It indicates even texture and tone, no noticeable problems or pigmentation issues, and pores that are small and have an overall healthy glow.
2. Toner…. Rebalance
Our natural pH can easily be off track after a long day of makeup and different environmental factors. Toner is often times skipped when its benefits are most important. Toners are formulated to restore the natural pH levels, prep the skin for your next product, sooth and refresh as well as remove particles such as leftover makeup from the skin.
Did you know that exfoliation is the KEY for any facial products to effectively do their job? When talking skin care at DermaBlue we often hear patients say that their products/makeup seem to just sit on the skin making them feel dull, clogged, and “cakey”. Here’s the reason—little to no exfoliation! Once the skin is cleared of dead skin cells and other residue our products can absorb effectively and get to work.
Types of exfoliants:
What to avoid:
- Harsh scrubs – Can make microscopic injuries to the skin and over time cause scarring.
- Harsh chemicals – Can irritate the skin and dry out skin you are trying to make healthier.
- Over-exfoliation – Too much of a good thing isn’t always the best way to go about it.
Our job at DermaBlue is to make sure our patients are on the right path to being educated on how and what type of exfoliation is best for their specific skin type. One thing we know for sure: glowing skin is always in.
We’ve heard this fact our whole life- our body is 2/3 water. It’s true, and there’s so many ways we take moisture out of our skin and need to replenish. All skin types need moisturizer in their regime, the key is finding the one that best suites your skin type. For more dry skin types look for creamy textures that are thicker and have ingredients that make a barrier to keep moisture in the skin. For more oily skin types look for water based moisturizers that are light and non-comedogenic meaning they won’t clog pores.
5. SPF and Sunscreen
There’s no easy way to say it. WEAR SPF. Every day. Cloudy days, rainy days, days where you don’t even step outside. Implement it into your routine right now and never stray. Pick a product that protects against UVA/UVB rays alike. These rays are responsible for burning and aging the skin. They can penetrate through windows (hence, wearing sunscreen indoors). There are other free radicals in our environment that can damage our skin as well even if its not rays from the sun. When you find an SPF product that fits with your skin type you won’t even notice you have it on.
Here at DermaBlue we are trained to help guide you in the right direction with treatment plans and recommended skincare products.
If you’re due for a checkup or would like some help picking out skincare products, call our office today 828-585-5489 or contact us today to schedule an appointment.